As kids, the aging faces of our older relatives were a curiosity to many of us. Was it possible that we could end up looking this wrinkled when we got older? It was inconceivable to us then that our ears could ever get that long, or our noses grow so big; our eyes become so dark and tired. It seemed utterly impossible in our youth and early adulthood that our round, plump, fresh, and healthy-looking faces could ever change that dramatically as we age.
But now, we know better. Age and life’s adventures have affected every nook and cranny of our bodies; it is the change that has occurred in our faces that is most visible to us and others. Sometimes the structural changes we see in the mirror are quite shocking. When we were young; fatty tissue in our faces gave our forehead, cheeks, and areas around our eyes and mouth plumpness. Now, it’s lost its volume, it clumps up, and it appears to be shifting downward; causing our features to sink and our skin to get loose and sag. With the ultrasound technology of Ultherapy®, you can achieve non-surgical face lifting and tightening results.
What Is Ultherapy®?
This treatment is an FDA-approved skin rejuvenation procedure that uses ultrasound technology to achieve a non-surgical lift to the face. Without cutting or disrupting the surface of the skin, Ultherapy® can transform your brows, your chin, your neck, and more. It will help to improve the overall appearance of lines and wrinkles on your décolletage (upper chest); by delivering focused ultrasound energy to the same foundational layer typically addressed by surgeons during cosmetic surgery.
This energy delivers low levels of focused heat just below the skin; which encourages the body’s natural healing response. This helps to stimulate the growth of fresh, new collagen and strengthen weakened collagen. As a result, you will experience a gradual tightening of the skin, with optimal visible results occurring two to three months after treatment when the new collagen is built up. However, some patients can see an initial lifting, tightening, and smoothing effect right after their treatment.
What can Ultherapy® Treat?
As you may already know, Skin MD is physician-owned and operated by Dr. Paul Flashner and his team of Registered Nurses and Aestheticians. As medical professionals, we are only interested in offering excellent; non-invasive aesthetic treatments to our patients, and that is precisely what Ultherapy® is. Ultherapy® in Boston is an excellent alternative for those who are not ready for surgery or for patients who want to extend the effects of cosmetic surgery they may have already had.
Ultherapy® can assist patients of all ages, skin tone and texture with:
- Brow elevation
- Lifting of the eyelid skin
- Tighter, lifted chin and neck skin
- Smoother face, neck, and chest skin texture
- More even color tone on face and neck
- Improvement in the appearance of lines and wrinkles on the chest
The Ultherapy® Difference
- Ultherapy® Goes Deeper – unlike lasers, radio-frequency, and other non-invasive aesthetic technologies, Ultherapy® bypasses the surface of the skin to deliver energy at optimal depths, temperature, and precision; in fact, even when you can’t visibly see the effects on the outside, you can be confident that the ultrasound technology is at work rebuilding collagen on the inside
- Ulthera has Imaging Ability – with Ultherapy®, the Skin MD medical staff can use ultrasound imaging to see the layers of tissue we are treating, ensuring that energy is delivered safely and to where it will be most beneficial
- Ultherapy® is Effective in a Single Treatment – just one non-invasive Ultherapy® treatment helps to counteract the effects of time, gravity, and sun exposure without downtime. Everyone’s skin is different, so results will vary; but in general, our patients will experience incredible responses from just one treatment.
What is the Science Behind Ultherapy®?
Ultrasound has been used safely throughout the medical field for more than 50 years and for cosmetic purposes since the 1980s. New and current uses of ultrasound include facial and body skin-rejuvenating treatments, reduction of stretch marks, treatment of contracture and scar tissue such as around breast implants, and the pre- and post-operative treatment of plastic-surgery patients to accelerate healing and recovery after procedures such as facelifts, tummy tucks, and liposuction. There are four primary levels of impact when using Ultrasound technology:
- Thermal effect, which relates to the heat that is generated in the deep layers of tissue
- Mechanical effect, which relates to the high-speed vibrations that act on the tissue just like a micro-massage
- Cavitation effect, which refers to the production of countless microscopic droplets of oxygen from the vibrational process
- Biological effects, which include blood-vessel dilatation, improved blood flow and circulation, improved lymph flow, muscle relaxation, reduced inflammation, and pain relief
Sound energy has unique properties that allow it to bypass the surface of the skin to treat depths not matched by other non-invasive cosmetic devices, such as lasers that rely on light energy. Now, Ultherapy® uses tried-and-true ultrasound to reach deep skin layers at an optimal temperature to stimulate collagen production in the skin’s foundation resulting in a clinically significant lift of tissue over 2-3 months.
Is This Treatment Painful?
There can be some minor discomfort while the ultrasound energy is being delivered. Since comfort levels vary from patient to patient, we do recommend patients take 800mg Ibuprofen 30 minutes before treatment. Any tenderness is temporary and is a positive sign that the collagen-building process has been initiated. Also, you may experience slight redness for up to an hour or so in the treatment area. A very small percentage of patients may have slight swelling, tingling, or tenderness to touch, but these are mild and temporary. Ultherapy® is an entirely non-invasive procedure, and as such, there is no downtime. You will be able to return to your normal activities right away, and there are no special measures you need to take.
What can I Expect From an Ultherapy® Treatment?
- First of all, our entire staff takes your comfort very seriously, and so from the moment you walk in the door, you can be confident that you will feel at ease in our medical spa. For your treatment, you will be in a private room, and your practitioner will be with you the entire time. After cleansing the skin and identifying the specific areas to be treated, she will apply the ultrasound gel and place the smooth treatment applicator against your skin. Next, your Skin MD practitioner will use Ultherapy®’s ultrasound imaging to first see deep within the skin to determine optimal placement of the treatment energy, and then deliver the focused ultrasound energy beneath the skin’s surface.
- During the treatment delivery, you will feel tiny amounts of energy being deposited to precise depths, indicating that the collagen-building process has been initiated. The length of your treatment will depend on the area being treated and your treatment plan. Face and neck procedures typically take about 60-90 minutes, a full-face treatment takes approximately 45-50 minutes, and a partial face, brow lift, or chest treatment is approximately 30 minutes.
When can I expect to see results from Ultherapy?
Patients may see initial results immediately after treatment. Still, the optimal lifting and toning will take place over the next 2-3 months, as tired collagen is replaced with new, more elastic collagen. As this collagen-building process continues, further improvements can appear up to 6 months following a procedure. There is a reported 95% patient satisfaction one year after treatment. Most important, the lifting and tightening is gradual and looks natural, and you get these results without having surgery.
Is Ultherapy® Safe?
The FDA has cleared the procedure after demonstrating safety in clinical studies, and hundreds of thousands of treatments have been performed safely worldwide. Ultherapy® uses safe, time-tested ultrasound energy to lift and tighten the skin naturally without surgery or downtime.