Breast Reduction Surgery by Skin MD
Your breasts can feel like a burden if they’re out of proportion to the rest of your body. If neck and back pain is your norm, then opting for breast reduction surgery here at Skin MD may be your best option. Our surgical staff is board-certified and expertly trained in performing female breast reduction.
What Is Breast Reduction Surgery?
Breast reduction, also known as reduction mammaplasty, involves the removal of skin, fat, and glandular tissue from the breast. By removing excess tissue, the breast’s shape is improved, and the breast’s size is reduced. This enhances the aesthetic balance of a woman’s upper torso and relieves some of the neck, back, and shoulder pain.
What Are the Benefits of This Procedure?
Opting for breast reduction can have many benefits. While an improvement in physical appearance is a major factor, the benefits don’t stop there. Breast reduction can also:
- Reduce chafing and irritation.
- Result in less neck, back, and shoulder pain.
- Make clothing feel more comfortable.
- Allow you to buy more clothing that is in style.
- Improve the symmetry of your body.
- Allow you to exercise more freely.
- End social embarrassment from disproportionately large breasts.
How Does Breast Reduction Work?
A typical breast reduction surgery takes 2-3 hours to perform and involves different techniques. The exact procedure will depend on your specific needs which will be discussed during your one-on-one consultation with our surgeon, Dr. Albert Ko. The procedure may involve any of the following:
- Liposuction – This involves the insertion of a thin tube connected to a vacuum that suctions fat and fluids from your breast. This is sometimes performed on the sides for balance.
- Inverted-T or “anchor” – This involves making cuts around the edge of the areola, from the areola to the breast crease, and along the crease underneath the breast. This method is used for large reductions and for people who have a lot of sagging or unevenness.
Dr. Ko will personally walk you through your options and share recommendations based on the latest research, advances in the field, and what’s best for your particular case, including:
- Scar Location
What Can I Expect?
Recovering from breast reduction surgery can take several weeks. The amount of downtime you need will depend on the specifics of your surgical procedure. Strenuous physical activity will need to be shelved for at least a month to give your body time to recover fully. Within a week you will feel much better and depending on what you do for work, may be able to return. For those with more physical jobs, a 2-3 week downtime may be necessary.
Breast Reduction Surgery in Massachusetts
If you’re experiencing back or neck pain and/or chafing due to your breast size, reduction surgery may be right for you.. At Skin MD, we’re staffed by board-certified surgeons ready to help you look and feel your best. Get started by clicking the button below and scheduling a complimentary consultation at your nearest Skin MD office.